Official 4 per 1000 events
Third "4 per 1000" Initiative Day - December 11, 2019, Madrid, Spain
On the occasion of the COP 25 de l’UNFCCC organized in Madrid under the Chilean Presidency (from December 2 to 13, 2019), the 4 per 1000 Initiative "Soil for Food Security and Climate" organized, with the support of the Spanish Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, the 3rd "4 per 1000 Initiative Day", on 11 December 2019. This 3rd "4 per 1000 Initiative day" was divided in three parts:
- A long morning (until 3:30 PM), starting with an inaugural session including speeches from Mr. Luis PLANAS, Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food of Spain, Mr. Didier GUILLAUME, Minister of Agriculture and Food of France and Mr. Wolfgang ZORNBACH, Chair of the day, from the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture of Germany, followed by an introductory part bringing together personalities during a High Level Segment;
- and then the 4th Forum of Partners with, this year, only plenary sessions;
- In the afternoon, the 5th meeting of the Consortium reserved for Consortium's Members only
The Agenda of the day is available on the conference website, as well as all the preparatory documents, presentations and videos.
The “4 per 1000” conference has been retransmitted in the youtube of the Spanish Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fish.
Feedback from Members or Partners:
Second "4 per 1000" Initiative Day - December 13, 2018, Katowice, Poland
On the occasion of the UNFCCC COP 24 (3-14 December 2018) organized in Katowice, Poland, the "4 per 1000 Initiative: Soils for Food Security and Climate" organizes, in partnership with the University of Silesia, the 2nd "4 per 1000 Initiative Day" on December 13, 2018.
This day, that was held one year after the first edition, becomes annual on the sidelines of the UNFCCC COPs and brought together the 4th meeting of the Consortium of Members and the 3rd meeting of the Forum of Partners of the Initiative.
Conference website: https://4per1000day2018.sciencesconf.org/
Watch the conference: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ynTRMUR09rw
The 4 per 1000 Initiative was also involved in two side-events Agriculture Advantage 2.0 at COP24, organized by the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS):
First Africa “4 per 1000” Symposium: Building synergies across Africa to advance on soils for food security and climate - October 24 - 26, 2018, Johannesburg
The event was jointly organized by NEPAD, Regeneration International and the “4 per 1000” Initiative. 104 participants from 16 African countries together with Partners from the EU, North- and South America, came together in Johannesburg for the 4 per 1000 Africa Symposium on Soils for Food Security and the Climate. Current insights into existing initiatives in Africa led by NEPAD, governments and civil society organisations were presented and discussed. Conversations and working groups were conducted around the four interconnected pillars of the 4 per 1000 initiative: soil health, food security, adaptation to climate change and contribution to global climate change mitigation.
The outcome report is under preparation and will be presented at the 4 per 1000 Initiative Day on 13 December in Katowice, Poland. Among the main conclusions were:
- There is a need to close the gap between research and the civil society. We need to stop the dichotomy between “us” and “them” and work closer together.
- African agriculture can contribute to solving many of the world’s problems. Promising ways and effective tools to restore and conserve the land while fighting hunger and poverty are partly known, we need to focus on spreading the knowledge and identifying concrete investment options to accelerate implementation and up-scaling.
- Ecosystem degradation and climate change are aggravating rapidly. We have no time to lose and need to focus on the synergies between our different initiatives in each region.
Following the Symposium, Regeneration International launched a letter to highlight the huge potential of soil restoration and conservation for tackling migration issues the world is currently facing. We invite all members to read it and support it with your signature as well as share it among your networks:
From Forced Migration to Regeneration: An Open Letter to the Citizens of the Global North
De la migration forcée à la Régénération: Lettre Ouverte aux Citoyennes et Citoyens des pays du Nord
De la Migración Forzada a la Regeneración: Carta Abierta a las y los Ciudadanos del Norte Global
First "4 per 1000" Initiative Day - November 16, 2017, Bonn, Germany
On the occasion of the UNFCCC COP 23 (6-17 November 2017) organized in Bonn, the "4 per 1000 Initiative: Soils for Food Security and Climate" organized, with the support of the German Food and Agriculture Ministry (BMEL) and the Federal Office for Agriculture and Food (BLE), the "4 per 1000 Initiative Day" on 16 November 2017. The Iniative Day includes the 2nd Forum of partners and the 3rd Consortium of members
Conference website: https://4per1000day.sciencesconf.org/?lang=en
2nd Consortium of Members - June 29-30, 2017, Montpellier, France
This meeting gathered around one hundred participants, representing members from all continents (States and public bodies, higher education and research institutes, foundations, donors, NGOs, farmer associations...). Download presentations, reports and other documents in the dedicated website.
Conference website: https://4per1000.sciencesconf.org/